Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Accepting Advice.


Advice.
 an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action or conduct
 Many people love taking advice from people and find it very helpful, but me I like to make my own decisions because I feel as if I know myself best. I would say asking someone for advice is going outside of my comfort zone because it is not something that I feel comfortable doing.  I want to face my fear of advice because I know sometimes other peoples input can be very helpful in your decision making.
The only people I usually do go to and ask advice is my family and a few close friends. I feel as if the person needs to know me almost as well as I know myself to give me the positive feedback I am looking for.  For me, asking for advice is a big deal and people close to me know that, so when I do go to them they know I must be very indecisive about something on my mind. I did not want to get too personal when going outside of my comfort zone and asking someone for advice. I have become really good friends with my hall mate Jenni so I decided to ask her for advice on what I should do about on-campus housing for next semester. I know myself best, and I know how I am feeling about continuing to live on campus next semester OR becoming a commuter, but I really feel as if it would help to get advice from a friends who is in the same predicament  at me. We are both indecisive about continuing to live on campus next semester so she knows exactly how I am feeling and that is why I feel comfortable asking  her for advice.
After talking to her, I actually did feel a sense of relief. Her words of advice really did help me in coming to make a decision. I have talked to my mom about commuting next semester and she said she supports my decision no matter what I decide to do as long as I am happy. But I wanted more structured advice than that, which I why I knew turning to Jen would really be helpful in making a decision and it was. She told me that she has thought about it really hard and that she is going to pay her on-campus housing deposit due October 29, 2010 and from there she is going to continue to think it over and make a full decision when the semester comes to an end in December. We really love being hall mates and have considered becoming roommates next semester so that would be something to really look forward to! But as for right now I am going to take Jen’s advice and pay my on-campus housing deposit so I do not feel rushed into making a decision. I still have time to think things over and she told me she is here for me whenever I want to talk and that really meant a lot to me.
Asking for advice really wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be and it was actually really helpful! Going out of my comfort zone was hard at first, but afterwards I felt a sense of relief and accomplishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment