Thursday, October 14, 2010

Free Choice: Structure & Self

I am a very structured, organized person who likes their days, weeks, and months planned out. I am not a “go with the flow” type of person & I also do not have a lot of patience therefore I do not like waiting around for things to happen. That is when I begin to get stressed out; when I feel that I’m overwhelmed and do not have control. I want to be in control of my life to the best of my ability at all times. I feel a sense of satisfaction when my schedule is consistently in order and when tasks or to-do list are completed.
Though the “free choice blog” has no structure, I feel as if I can reflect on how on my focused sense of self can relate to the huge adjustment process I have chose to become a part of; college.
College is a huge adjustment process that I am still in the mist of getting used to.  Because I am the structured person that I am, I am not a fan of change. Even though we are already half way through the semester I feel as if I am still in the adjustment process and am still getting used to my new life on a daily basis.

In the beginning of the school year my main focus was myself and my happiness. I personally needed to take the time to adjust to my new life and reflect upon who I really am. I chose to live at college because I wanted to be a part of the “full college experience”. Therefore I needed to give up the comfort of my home and my old lifestyle and make the most of why I am here. I wanted to meet new people, do well in my classes & keep up my grades, and get involved on campus. I needed to do this for myself. I want to prove to myself that I can do anything I set my mind to, even if it does take me out of my comfort zone.

Today, about 6 weeks later I am truly satisfied with myself and how far I have come.
In just a short period of time I truly feel as if I have adjusted to my new life in such a positive way and I am so proud of myself for never giving up on such a great experience.

I have…
*met such great friends
*feel satisfied/good about my classes and grades
*been managing my time successfully
*adjusted to my new living environment
*been able to manage my school work & social life
* gotten involved in an organization I am extremely excited about!

I do feel as if I am a student that is a part of the “full college experience” and I could not be happier. Though day-to-day I am still adjusting, I am keeping a positive attitude to make this process much easier on myself and it has been working!

No comments:

Post a Comment