Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Great Group!

In the beginning of the semester Professor Guarino placed our class into “learning community groups”. I was placed in a group with Julie and Dana and later in the semester Alexis also joined our group. The first time we worked with our groups was on our first group project, “Group Think”. This project introduced us to the SCSU community and was designed to get to know our campus more efficiently. We were to choose 8 words from a list and take pictures around campus to describe that word and then make our project (pictures, paragraphs and audio) into a movie. We as a group decided to use Windows Movie Maker and Julie really helped me learn   how to use this program, which I found very helpful for our future assigned assignments/projects. This project not only introduced us to the Southern Community but was also an introduction to our next project, Midterm Story Telling Movie…
We did not have a formal written final, instead we were assigned a Midterm Movie which consisted of choosing a topic and asking a question in which 2 professors, 3 underclassmen and 1 upperclassman were to answer. My question was based on motivation and it was, “What motivates you to reach you academic goals”? This was an individual project, not a group project but we worked with our groups in class for feedback, technological help, etc… You could also meet with you group outside of class if you felt as if you needed more help with movie. It was comforting & nice to know that I had people, group members that I felt comfortable with enough to ask for extra help on my project if needed so. They really did come in handy and were extremely helpful, especially with technological aspects.

We are now currently working on our Final Video Project in which we were to pick a topic that makes us stand out from the rest of the SCUS community and my project is based off of my major, nursing. I talk about what qualities I possess that makes me stand out and that will one day lead me to become an excellent nurse. We have met with our groups in class, discussed our topics, and helped each other brainstorm ideas for their projects. For Example: Both Dana & Alexis are basing their projects off their major and their future. Alexis talks about how she wants to become a singer, and even introduces us to her beautiful voice and Dana shows us the steps she took to decide what she wanted to do with her future. Through a daycare program offered at her high school she decided she wanted to major in elementary education and is very happy with her decision.
Overall, I have really enjoyed working with my group members throughout the semester and they been extremely helpful in many ways. Next semester I am going to really miss a group of great girls that I can turn to for help/advice on any assignment or project I have.

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment